Friday, February 1, 2008

Lost Community

One of my goals for this year is to be more intentional about being in community. As a single gal it's easy to retreat into myself and start to get a little isolated. I have many dear friends, but I don't always take the time to spend time with them like I should. I want to invite people over for dinner more, do more fun things together... just basically let more people into my life.

So in that vain, I invited myself over to my (married) friends' house last night for dinner and to watch the season premier of LOST - as the season premier of LOST should not be watched alone. Another (single) friend called while I was hanging out over there last night and of course we invited her to come over as well. "You need to be in community," I said. "You don't want to watch alone. When something happens and you say 'oh my goodness', you want someone to say 'I KNOW!'" The pull of the couch in her own warm house was strong though - but she started thinking... "Yes, and if I want to ask - what did he just say - someone can answer." "Exactly," I said..."Plus, here they have Tivo - so if you miss something - we can just rewind." "AHH Tivo" she exclaimed - "I'll be over soon." So appartantly Tivo, not community was the big draw :-) We did have a great time - very thankful for good friends and for time to be together.

No comments: