Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Chance Encounter

Yesterday I made an off-hand comment to a colleague of mine about having to leave work on time to go to my painting class. She shared that she painted as well and suddenly a casual friendship went a step deeper. There is something so nice about finding out that you share similar interests with another person. She showed me pictures of some of her paintings and I went to class even more inspired.

One of my goals last year was to take an art class. I have thought about doing so for years, but always chickened out. Finally, last summer, my parents gave me some money towards a class and I picked one out of a the course catalogue and signed up. It was a three day college workshop. I loved it. I loved how friendly and generous the other students were. I loved the teacher. From there I got up the courage to sign-up for a 9 -week acrylic painting class with the same teacher. I was so nervous. Would I suddenly discover that I had no talent whatsoever and that I should just give up? The first class was awkward, but I stuck it out. Again, everyone was so encouraging. I was beginning to doubt myself but kept going and decided to just have fun. I am taking the class again - as a "second quarter" student -so it is less scary and I can be the one to encourage the "first quarter" students. I'm not brilliant, but I continue to have fun and continue to learn and grow and that's what it's really all about.

And one of these days I may get up the courage to post some pictures of my paintings... :-)

No comments: