Monday, February 4, 2008

service, selfishness, balance..

When I got home Friday night around 9:00 after a long day - mostly work related - there was a message from a friend at church asking if I could cover for him watching some of the kids after church for a couple hours. I so want to be a servant, a person who gladly and graciously says "of course"... and of course, I did say I would be able to help - but I wasn't as cheerful as I wanted to be. It wasn't that I didn't want to help, or even that I wasn't glad to help, it was just that my schedule was getting very filled up and I had set aside Sunday afternoon to crash - rest, relax, take a nap, sew...

Then the next morning the phone rang - the woman in charge of our women's ministry committe (and I am on said committee), called to see if we could meet on Thursday evening - sigh... my only other block of free time, gone. Again, I said I could, but wasn't overly cheerful about it... we did need to meet - we have a retreat coming up and I committed to be on the planning committee...

For me though it's about the element of surprise - I don't like to be surprised in my shedule - I like to have it all known ahead of time - so I can plan accordingly, store up energy to last through the busy times, try to keep some balance...

However, life is not always in a neat package. And while I certainly need to be wise, I do need to allow for some surprises and learn to graciously accept the surprises - trusting my schedule to God, trusting that He will provide the health and energy, trusting that He will provide some down time. I do probably keep too tight of control over my time.

I started this post last Monday and have been thinking about this issue all week. Haven't got it all figured out yet, but being open to the changes and surprises and the needs of others has to be part of this...

No comments: